Thursday, January 26, 2006

Life

So I was sitting here bored to death checking websites and stuff and looked at my friend Courtney's blog. There I found something that just made my day (there's a link on here to Courtney's blog...check it out and see what I'm talking about). She has a baby boy that is a little more than 6 months old. I admire Courtney more than anyone can know because she is living life like it should be. A child will never be more loved than her son Grady.
On that blog are various clips of him rolling over, smiling, laughing, and today's of him swinging in the park swing for the first time. His smile and giggle are adorable and infectious...but what struck me even more was Courtney's unbelievably happy laugh in the background. To say that her life has been kind of difficult would be an understatement, but here she is living each moment to the fullest...not missing a second. Not squandering any of the time of her life or her husband's or her son's. They are living and inhaling every single moment. I respect that so much.


I obviously don't have a husband or a baby, so the comparison can't be exact. But, The fact is that I don't live each day as if it's a gift. I complain...I get bored...I get lonely. All of these are very common to other people too, but I don't want to be that way. I guess the fact is that I thought I might be married by now...or at least know that I would be soon. I would know that I would be having children soon. I mean, I value family more than anything and I have always just taken for granted that I would have a husband and children someday. Here's the cruel truth though...I might, but I might not. It's not okay for me to live my life waiting for that to happen to live each day to the fullest...to make it count. I should be DOING things that are important. God calls us to live each day for him...I always thought that a family would be my main purpose in life, but it isn't right now. I am single for a reason...and I could always be. There are things that I need to do, to be, to become.


Here are some lyrics to a song that I want to be my challenge and goal everyday. If any of you feel stagnant and mediocre because you feel like you haven't found your purpose or "home" yet...I hope these challenge you too. Hopefully we'll all do something with the time we have now and not wait for when things are the way we want or imagined to start living life to the fullest.


Chris Rice
Life Means So Much
Every day is a journal page
Every man holds a quill and ink
And there's plenty of room for writing in
All we do is believe and think
So will you compose a curse
Or will today bring the blessing
Fill the page with rhyming verse
Or some random sketching
Teach us to count the days
Teach us to make the days count
Lead us in better ways
That somehow our souls forgot
Life means so much
Life means so much
Life means so much
Every day is a bank account
And time is our currency
So nobody's rich, nobody's poor
We get 24 hours each
So how are you gonna spend
Will you invest, or squander
Try to get ahead or help someone who's under
Teach us to count the days
Teach us to make the days count
Lead us in better ways
That somehow our souls forgot
Life means so much
Has anybody ever lived who knew the value of a life
And don't you think giving is all
What proves the worth of yours and mine
Teach us to count the days
Teach us to make the days count
Lead us in better ways
That somehow our souls forgot
Life means so much
Every day is a gift you've been given
Make the most of the time every minute you're living

5 comments:

Courtney said...

Oh, Nicole, thank you so much for your kind words about me and my family. I am just touched, I'm all teary eyed. I know all of these things will happen for you. I found it when I least expected it. And you are right, just because you don't have a child doesn't mean you can't live life to the fullest. I love you!

edhigg said...

Nicole, you're entry reminds me of my most recent entry about "now." (Yeah, it's all about ME!!)I like the entry. Peace out.

Anonymous said...

Hey there Nicole! Glad we are back in touch! I hope things aren't to dramatic at UT...but I'm sure they are! Hehe! xox

thisisapc said...

post darn you

Constance said...

LOVE this.

About Me

My photo
I moved to Nashville to start (another) grad school. It's scary, but it's also cool because my best friend and I are finally in grad school together...delayed, but it happened.